Ever thought about the joys of buying a bigger parachute?
I have always chosen a canopy that would treat me best in all possible scenarios… A parachute that will open and land softly under all conditions.
Canopy of Choice
PD’s Katana 107 was my canopy of choice for several years. It opens slowly every jump and I can land it downwind, crosswind, at sea level and at 5,000 feet. It doesn’t require I do a turn to build up speed and I can even land it in deep brakes if I have to. I can fly it in a pattern with hundreds of canopies without negatively affecting them or them me.
But, when I had my hip replacement in 2018, I anticipated wanting to have a little more cushion and a little less speed. I upsized to a PD Stiletto 120. The gain being less risk of injury and more years enjoying this fantastic sport. The downside being I’m not going quite as fast on landing. Sounds to me like there is no downside to upsizing.
Food for Thought
Are you jumping a canopy that’s got your back:
- on a 4-way?
- on a 100-way?
- during a 10mph downwind landing?
- if you have to get into a tight spot on an off DZ landing?
It’s a good question to ask yourself.
PLEASE SHARE IF YOU AGREE.
More of Dan at Dan Brodsky-Chenfeld
- Be CALM! - 4th August 2022
- Let’s Talk About FEAR - 18th January 2022
- Take Charge! - 16th August 2021
- P3 Power Play 2021 - 15th July 2021
- One Big Family - 10th June 2021
- Let’s talk Canopy COLLISIONS - 18th May 2021
- Safety Culture - 29th April 2021
- P3 Winter Fling - 6th March 2021
Please check out my book 'Above All Else' here