Bruno Brokken hasn’t had a cutaway in 29 years! As a professional full-time cameraman that’s some record!!
Bruno’s Top Tips
We asked Bruno if he could share his secrets with Skydive Mag readers, on how to avoid cutaways…
I don’t really have a secret, but here’s 5 things that probably helped me to be so long without cutting away…
- Jump docile canopies (like my 7-cell PD Spectre) as much as possible.
- Pack properly or have good packers (my last cutaway in ’93 was a line-over, probably pulled some lines of the tail over the leading edge while packing)
- Pay attention to a symmetrical body position on opening and learn to react quickly to unusual openings, like line twists for example.
- Do a proper line check when you have any doubts, like when the canopy falls down in no wind landings or you picked it up in an unusual way.
- Use rubber bands with proper tension…
… and number 6: some luck I guess!”
Wisdom by Bruno Brokken
Bruno started jumping in 1980, has over 20,000 jumps, is a professional cameraman and a multiple Canopy Piloting champion. His canopy progression includes the PD210, PD190, the Sabre 175 & 150, the Nova, the Stiletto 150, the Velocity 120 &110, the Spectre 135 and has just ordered a Sabre3 125.
- World Team 400way world record - 8th February 2023
- Kēbē does 160 Skysurf Rotations! - 16th November 2021
- 32 Years of Bruno Flying PD - 17th March 2021
- Maldives Extravaganza - 19th March 2020
- 6 Tips to AVOID CUTAWAYS - 20th November 2018