“Of course I did a Gear Check!”
I was out in the loading area while a load of jumpers were waiting for their aircraft. I saw a very experienced fun jumper with a folded piece of paper under the rig’s main closing flap.
For those of you that are not familiar with Spaceland Dallas, when you pick up your rig from the rigging loft after getting your reserve repacked, our Master Rigger leaves a copy of your rig inspection checklist folded underneath your main closing flap.
Me (walking up from behind the jumper): “Yo, did you do a gear check?”
Me (removing folded paper and handing it to them): “You may want to do a better job next time.”
Look, the intent here is not to shame anyone (in this case, you know who you are). This type of incident is a symptom of a much larger disease. Here is a list of things that JUST I have found on fun jumpers in the loading area recently:
- one misrouted three-ring (not sure how many times it got jumped)
- two misrouted chest straps (seriously!?)
- three unconnected and dangling RSLs (seriously!?)
- two misrouted RSLs (not sure how many times they were jumped)
- four exposed main pilot chutes due to non-maintained BOCs
- one reserve seal missing (“It was there when I checked it 5 minutes ago!”)
I can’t even count how many times I see jumpers running back into the hangar when the plane is showing up because they forgot helmet/ altimeter/ goggles/ etc.
When it comes to protecting your own safety, there are far too many things that are OUTSIDE of your control. You should be doing your best to control those things that are WITHIN your control. In skydiving, that starts with a gear check. Stack the deck in your favor.
Don’t just take my word for it. Hear what Dan Brodsky-Chenfeld has to say on the subject:
Video: Dan BC on Gear Checks
Related article – Community Eyes – Simon Brentford encourages us to look out for gear mistakes around us
- Happy Birthday, Fibre 66! - 28th February 2022
- If a = b and b = c… - 1st September 2021
- RSL No-No - 6th April 2021
- Don’t Do THIS! - 25th March 2021
- Stack the Deck in your Favor - 16th February 2021